Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Planning: Tops & Tees

Thanks so much for all the kind words about my last couple of projects! I've been wearing my gray dress non-stop.

So I guess I need a sewing plan. Every time I go to my closet I reach for the same tops - UO v-neck poly-blend tees - and the same pants - old, holey jeans. Oookay. I have nice stuff, but I wear what's comfortable since I'm not in a situation where I necessarily need to dress up. In an effort to look slightly more put together I'm going to sew some stylish tops that are comfortable. That means using knits! I have a huge stash of knit fabric because I'm a hoarder and cannot resist rayon jersey. I'll make a couple of woven tees, too.

Here are the patterns that I want to sew immediately:



1. The Hot Patterns 1130 Triple Torque Tops - The reviews aren't great and I haven't had the best luck with Hot Patterns, but I love the styles enough to give it a go. I'll make a muslin of the bottom right view first.


2. Vogue 1262 Alice & Olivia Tunic - I love views A and C.


3. BurdaStyle Karen - I think this style will be flattering because I can cinch it around my waist.


4. Grainline's Scout Woven Tee - I have some pretty lace that I'd like to use for this top.


 5. Salme Pleated Top - Ideally this will be made in chiffon. We'll see how that goes....


 6. Pattern Runway Pussy Bow Blouse - I love, love, love this style of blouse.

Not too intense, right? Any words of advice? I know a few of you have sewn from these patterns...

In knitting news, Anhinga is almost done. I just need to sew on the sleeves. Yay! I should make accessories or finish up some old projects next, but of course I want to make another sweater and that sweater is the Riot Yoke Pullover. I know, I know. It's a bit much, but I love it. I don't have the yarn I want to use yet, so maybe I will finish a cowl or some socks in the meantime.

8 comments:

  1. I think you'll look amazing in the Pussy Bow Blouse. Definitely choose a pattern that has some drape to it though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your version of Karen. I love the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I totally hear you with your plan! I'm the same way-- I wear crummy old t-shirts and the same two pairs of jeans over and over and over again (so much so that a friend compiled an album on Facebook of photos of me wearing the same t-shirt... which just might be a little boys' tee... sigh). I've been intimidated by working with knits, though, but I'm determined to conquer this fear!

    I love all the patterns that you chose! The Karen is on my list to make as well-- looking forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all really great choices. I do the same thing, tops and jeans all the time, so I like to sew more tops than other stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wouldn't know it from the photos on my blog, but my go-tos are jeans & tees. I LOVE dressing up, but if I'm home, that's what I wear. Need to take cues from you ;) Though I felt like I was drowning, I think the Karen will look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree, would love to see that particular pussy bow blouse in action, I think the mid length sleeves will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Pattern Runway blouse made up in a vintage rayon (or rayon/cotton blend, one can never be sure) and it's a dream! I would advise sticking to rayon or a silk blend to get the drapey look.

    Since the bow is separate from the blouse, I modified the collar to eliminate the fold over collar part and just used the tie joined onto the blouse. (I would loose that tie piece in a minute so I knew I had to modify that) I also made the tie a bit skinnier than it was originally, it is much bigger than it appears in the line drawings.

    Looking forward to seeing your blouses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm relieved to hear that you all wear jeans and tees most days, too.

    Elizabeth - thanks for the tip! I haven't decided on fabric yet, but maybe a crepe de chine? Or a lightweight silk/cotton blend if the crepe is too tricky?

    Sonja - that is HILARIOUS! I'm the exact same way. I know a lot of people say knits are easier... blah blah blah... but it's TRUE. I have to use a walking foot and I do a bit of basting if the seam allowance is over 1/4", but they are really easy to sew. And the patterns usually consist of very few pieces.

    Thanks Molly!

    Lavender - I looked at your version of Karen on BurdaStyle this morning and it swayed me to make the cardigan! I think it's really flattering. And yes, I thought you spent your days in fabulous handmade dresses.

    Cirque du Bebe - I love those sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candace - I'd love to see a picture of yours! Thanks a lot for the advice. That's strange the tie is separate, so I'll definitely copy your modification. I forgot that rayon was an option. I'll dig through my stash today.

    ReplyDelete