Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Finished: HP Torque Tops




Pattern: HP 1130 Weekend Triple Torque Knit Top - Twisted Hem with long sleeves

Mods: cut a size 10, but straightened the body out so the waist was more like a 12. significantly reduced the armhole size. adjusted sleeve to fit into cap. lengthened sleeve about an inch. left hems raw.

Fabric: slightly slubby, kinda shiny rayon jersey from Designer's Resource.

Cost: $4.

I really like this top. It's exactly what I was going for - comfortable and stylish. And it was so cheap! How often can you find a shirt that you love for $4? NEVER. (Pattern prices don't count in the total.) I'm sure I'll make another one with short-sleeves for summer.



Pattern: HP 1130 Weekend Triple Torque Knit Top - Wrap with elbow-length sleeves

Mods:  cut a size 10, but straightened the body out so the waist was more like a 12. significantly reduced the armhole size. adjusted sleeve to fit into cap. lengthened sleeve an inch.

Fabric: 11 oz. rayon jersey in soft light green from Gorgeous Fabrics.

Cost: I was mailed a very generous yard, so this top was only about $10.

I may just count this a wadder. There's tons of potential. There really is, but I'm not thrilled with the outcome. I was constantly adjusting the shirt to make it look normal in pictures. I think the over-sized fit works with the twisted hem top, but not this one. The shoulders and arms are too big and the wrap pattern pieces need to be adjusted. It's also too long. I may try again with a size 8 and make some other adjustments. The other problem is that I cannot hem this fabric! I've tried every size of twin needle, but it's not havin' it.

So what's next?? I've had it with knits for the time being, so I'm leaning towards a woven top. I also have lots of small knitting projects that I've been wrapping up, so I'll post those soon, too.

*Thanks to my new bangs and countless hair tutorials on Pinterest, I am obsessed with sock buns. By next week it will be braids. Hopefully.

14 comments:

  1. Ooh - I love these tops especially the first one! Such a great drape.
    Also, your hair looks perfect. Gorgeous bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that top shirt-- it's absolutely adorable! As for the bottom shirt, I think it looks cute (although if it was mine, I'd be picking at it and moving the wrap portion around allll day). What about hemming it with a band? That might be tough to do with the drapey action going on around the hem, but then again, it might work nicely. After making the Renfrew top, I'm hooked on using bands to hem knits (twin needles? wtf is the deal with those? they're way scary).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you made a renfrew too? have you posted it yet? yeah, bands are a fabulous idea, but the fabric and style may be too drapey. i was fidgeting with the wrap section for the entire hour that i had the shirt on. i'm going to try again because i really like the style. ha ha! i don't usually have such a hard time with twin needles. after today, a coverstitch machine became a necessity!

      awh thanks! i'm blind as a bat and really should wear my glasses more often.

      Delete
    2. I haven't posted it yet-- awful! I have a little pile of projects that are finished but just need to be photographed-- I leave for work and it's too dark to take a photo, then when I get home it's dark. Stupid winter.

      Do you have a serger? I'm toying with the idea of getting one, but I've never actually used one or a coverstitch machine. I like the idea of both of them-- they seem to give such professional-looking results-- but I'm a little reticent to add to my rapidly-expanding sewing mess!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have a serger. It's a super basic, entry-level Singer and I'm really happy with it. I struggled for years with the tension and some other issues, but it was operator error. I like french seams and beautiful finishing, but a serger was critical for me because I love knits.

      I haven't used a coverstitch machine either.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and you look cute as a button in your new 'do! I saw the top photo and thought your glasses were adorable, but then I saw your saucy red lipstick in the bottom photos, and you look killer in that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bangs! I always cut bangs and then have no idea how to take care of them. After a day or two I decide that they drive me crazy, so I pin them back and grow them out. Only to repeat the cycle. Any tips or tricks to getting your cute style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey thanks! i used to go through the same cycle - i think i look better with bangs, but didn't know how to do them. they always looked weird when i would air-dry them (which is generally what i do with my hair). finally my stylist showed me how to blow them out with a paddle brush just going side to side. then i finish them with a straightener.

      and i use a shitload of product. :) any bottle that says volume or shine goes into my hair.

      Delete
  5. hello Stephanie, the 2 tee shirts are very nice. I usually follow blog and love it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the bangs and glasses! And the first top is perfect on you! I agree about the second one, but I think if you took it in a smidge, it would still be fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey thanks! i'm sick of knits right now, but i'm definitely going to revisit the wrap top and make some adjustments. it's totally my style.

      Delete